- A workshop on biosensors for meat quality was held in Lleida (Spain) on 25 October 2012.
- A biosensor is an analytical device for the detection of an analyte that combines a biological component with a physicochemical detector component.
- Common analytes in meat are: DNA markers, metabolites, electric conductivity, pH...
- Common meat quality aspects are: fat type, amount and distribution, muscle fibre type, glycogene content...
- An useful biosensor should be able to measure meat quality traits cheaply, accurately, and fast in farms, abbatoirs or supermarkets.
- The purpose of this workshop is to bring together interested parties from industry and academia to assess the current status of knowledge and praxis related to pork quality.
- It was also the first opportunity to bring all EXCELMEAT partners together in a kick-off meeting.
Day 1. Thursday 25 October: Workshop (open to all)
- 09:00-09:20 Welcoming & Introduction: Jules Hernández-Sánchez and Romi Pena
- 09:20-09:40 Estany et al. A review of ten years of research on genetics of fat content and composition in pigs
- 09:40-10:00 Portero. Meat products in human nutrition: an update
- 10:00-10:20 Quintanilla et al. Genetic mechanisms underlying lipid metabolism and meat quality in pigs: from candidate gene to gene network inference
- 10:20-11:00 Break
- 12:40-13:00 Morning Wrap-up (time-permitting)
- 13:00-15:00 Lunch & Posters
- 17:00-19:00 Wrap-up & General Discussion
- 20:00 Dinner
POSTERS (13:00-15:00, 25 October 2012, Foyer Building 1 ETSEA)
- Poster dimensions: between 80-100 cm wide and 110-130 cm high. Best if 90x120 cm
Day 2. Friday 26 October: EXCELMEAT kick-off meeting (08:30-12:00, EXCELMEAT core members only)
- 08:00-08:10 Welcome
- 08:10-08:30 Secondments schedule
- 08:30-09:00 Achievements
- 09:00-09:20 EU Funding with Dr. Rodrigo de Oliveira, Department of Research and Innovation, IRTA
- 09:20-12:00 Transforming EXCELMEAT into a funded EU project
- 12:00-14:00 Visit to Lleida Medieval Quarter and Old Cathedral "La Seu Vella"
- 14:00-15:00 Lunch and Farewell